Friday 25 November 2011

Ed Ruscha Inspired Food Fonts

We've been looking at Ed Ruscha and We've done our own food fonts, using real food. These are mine:


For this one I wanted to make it aspirational and to include a picture within the typography. I had really wanted to use the jam as I saw it created a nice effect. However, on the black card it was hard to make out clearly, so I had to adjust the lighting when it was uploaded on the computer, which I did in photoshop. Using salt, I poured it into a jagged shape, which reminded me of a mountain peak, so I decided to use the phrase 'climb the highest mountain', make the piece aspirational. I used green sweet wrappers to make the nice green grass and orange sweet wrappers and tomato sauce to make the sun. When I got round to writing with the jam, I couldn't fit the whole phrase onto the card, so I had to shorten it to 'climb the mountain', which I think makes less sense. The food I used were bad-for-you foods which I used to present why people should exercise.


This was my first experiment with food, and it is also my favourite. I enjoy the use of colour more in this because it has a wider range of colours. I especially like the candy colours used for 'Childhood Heaven', which was created using pressed sweets, popcorn, shaving foam, ketchup, toothpaste and sprinkled sugar. This displays the food a typical child loves to eat, but also their responsibility to clean their teeth, which also has nice candy colours. On the other hand, we have 'Childhood Horrors', which has a much simpler look. I was inspired by my hatred of eating tinned spaghetti alphabets and hoops when I was younger. I made 'Childhood Heaven' later, so the message would have made more sense if it said 'Childhood Hell', however, it remains my favourite. The Tomato looks a little like the fires of Hell, which I was trying to convey. I also used penne pasta for the border as (apart from alphabet spaghetti and spaghetti hoops) penne is my least favourite pasta shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment