Tuesday 17 April 2012

More Targets

Have you explored and developed your ideas imaginatively? How have you demonstrated this?
Starting off by gaining influence from other pieces of typography, then working through different materials: working out what senses I could advertise by relating it to the material.

Have you researched a diverse range of artwork and completed this on your blog? Who have you analysed? Is your analysis in-depth?
I have looked at the work of Zim & Zou, so I experimented with paper, I looked at the work of Debbie Smyth, so i used certain textiles like thread and pins to create 3D typography. I also looked at Annie Garforth, who uses different materials, but I looked closely at her use of  food typography. I made several cakes and decorated them, not just focusing on typography.

Have you experimented with a wide range of techniques both handmade and computer generated? Which techniques have you used?
Mostly handmade typography as I was interested in making 3D typography as a animated GIF. However I have experimented with making 3D text before, using a tool in Illustrator called the blend tool.

Have you refined / developed your outcomes through experimentation? How?
I started by looking closely at using paper shapes, however my mind was changed when saw the use of Sellotape casting, as I thought I could use the Sellotape to represent the sense of touch by using the theme of being stuck to a hand. At first my message was 'Stick to me', however the use of Sellotape helped me develop this by making me think of the lines in a song by the Velvet Underground, 'I'm sticking with you, cos I'm made out of glue'.

Have you written in detail about your experiments and developments on your blog and used this information to help you improve?
I have written about all of my experiments, however some work key to to the experiments is not on there yet. I have yet to explain my initial ideas, building up to my final outcome, and use this questionnaire as a guideline to improve the detail of my written reports. 

Have you taken imaginative leaps/ shown a sense of discovery/ willingness to take risks in your work? If so how? If not, how can you do this?
I was willing to take risks by doing Sellotape crafting. On one of the experiments, the Sellotape was wrapped too tight, cutting off my blood line. I had to cut myself out, which also put me at risk. I had never used Sellotape to mould my shape before, and discovered how it works.

Have you shown enthusiasm and imagination in your work? If so, how? If not, how can you make changes to do this?
After looking at the work of Zim & Zou, I was enthusiastic to get my work to that standard. When using materials such as the Sellotape crafting, the food typography, paper experimentations and the Lino cutting and printing, I found I was enjoying myself by getting immersed in the work. Some of the work I made was not made for class in my own time, however I felt I could link them very well to my final outcome.

Have you created work that is exciting and original? If so, how? If not, what can you do to improve this area? 
I was the first in my class to use Sellotape moulding, but it was not original. The way it became original was when I developed it by using Sellotape to also make typography. The first time using it was exciting.

Have you annotated your blog thoroughly throughout?
Yes after I finished each set of work, I annotate my exploration through that field.

Have you practised with your exam outcomes by creating mock-ups? Are your outcomes skilful/ well constructed?
I have made two examples of my final outcome, changing the design slightly as I try new methods and different materials. I felt that the first was more atheistically pleasing, however the second had the best technique.

Have you created an exam plan?
I do not fully understand how the exam is set up, however I can look it up on the College blog, and map out what to do first in the exam.


SMART TARGETS FOR THE WEEK
  • Finish the final outcome experiment homework
  • Post my initial ideas on the blog
  • Add to my Lino prints blog post

No comments:

Post a Comment