Tuesday 24 January 2012

Evaluation of the Project

What I have done:

1) Mood board
2) Mind Map
3) 4x Logo Analysis
4) Initial Idea: Logo Mounting
5) Logo Development x5
6) Initial Packaging Nets x6
7) Targets
8) Final Packaging Nets
9) 6 Examples of Swing Tags
10) 3 in depth analysis of Swing Tags
11) Initial Swing Tags
12) Final Swing Tag Design

I feel pleased with everything that I have done, however my checklist is slightly different to the one on the Graphics Blog because I chose to do different Logo developments and my Christmas homework was my Initial packaging Ideas. I have also made as swing tag which is not included on the original checklist. My work has been approved by my Graphics teacher and she has helped to show me points of improvement, especially around my final packaging design. The work I enjoyed the most was making the different logos while experimenting with different mediums. I have been inspired by the packaging work of Christie Tandiono, who designed the 'Donut Monsters' packaging and for my shop name and logo, I was influenced by cartoon ducks as I wanted my product to appeal to children. The carving used on my swing tag was influenced by Rob Ryan, who I looked at for my Typography project.

The brief of the project was to design the logo, packaging and swing tags of a shop that we have to make up. My idea was to make a doughnut shop. It took me a while to come up with a good idea for a shop name but I finally settled for 'Sugar Duck', after I looked at the figure of cartoon duck. My initial logos therefore featured cartoon ducks, until I was encouraged to start drawing from real ducks. I didn't like them however, because I wanted them to be more appealing to children and I decided to go back to my original cartoon idea. I also decided to make my wording more typographical as I felt that the words were not thought of enough in my other ideas. In this design, I emphasised that this was a doughnut shop by making the lettering doughnut shaped. I also decided to add the 'S' at the end of 'Sugar Ducks' to emphasise the 'Duck' part by making the 'S' duck shaped. I chose this to be my final design.

What influenced the changes in my work was my desire to get my work to a better standard. What influenced my final packaging design was my one of initial ideas which had feathers on it. It worked as it went with the duck theme of the the product. Feathers also went on to my final tag design as I thought it was such a good idea. What I could of done is emphasise my doughnut products more in my final outcomes, as that is the main thing my shop would sell. I like my final outcomes however, I think if I had a chance, I would change the colours used the most in my final packaging and final tag, as I had already expressed my target audience was for young children (both genders), I am not sure black and red are colours that would appeal to everyone.

In the end, I feel that I have accomplished more in this project than the Typography project. One improvement about this project which was different from the other project, was that there were three main outcomes that were made clear: research and work towards my Logo design, research and work towards my Packaging design and research and work towards my Swing Tag design. This helped me go through the stages to completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment