Wednesday 9 May 2012

Final Outcome Evaluation






This is my final outcome, which was predominately inspired by Mark Jenkins.
I used a technique using Sellotape and modelling it on a person, to make it look more realistic. I modelled the Sellotape on someone else as it saved time. I had the idea to hang it up, so I created stand to mount the hands on. This didn't work as well as I'd hoped as the added weight of the hands made the stands fall over, so I attached them to the main board and they stayed upright.

 My initial idea was to cover the hands in newspaper, however this was not broached in the exam as I felt it would it would detract from the main point of the piece, which is to call out to the sense of touch by using Sellotape, which is used in the sense to stick to the audience. However I could of used newspaper or another kind of paper to fill the hands to give them more colour, which I had explored before and liked the look of. The hands were made to appear to be bursting from the board as it was more effective than just mounting the hands. 

Another sense I was trying to provoke was sound, as I added the phrase "I'm sticking to you", which came from the song by The Velvet Underground "I'm sticking with you because I'm made out of glue", which when seen by an audience, I hoped would make them sing the song in their heads. I changed the "with" in the lyric however, replacing it with "to", as Sellotape literally sticks to you. I was going to use the whole line "I'm sticking to you because I'm made out of glue", however I would have been too long.

 I wanted the typography and hands to be 3D, as it would increase the amount of how visual it looked and that would link it to the sense of touch. I decided to have it hanging in the air as I wanted the hands to be reaching for each other. This idea was inspired by Zim & Zou, who also hang 3D objects around in effective ways. 

 I chose the colours pink and purple as they are colours linked which the sense of Love and Passion, which is what the song is about. 

The Sellotape and glue glistens in an effective way that sparkles in your eyes and gives the piece a sense of light. 

My work has changed through-out the year as I have gained more ideas and found more influences. At the beginning of the year for my previous typography project, my work was mainly computer generated; finding out new skills on Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. This gradually came to working with handmade material as I decided handmade work looks more impressive as its where I feel most comfortable. In the retail graphics project, I used computer designs on a pieces I made myself, so it was a mixture of both. This piece is completely hand made.    

If I was to do this again, I would try to find away the make the hands and boards stick together as just using Sellotape to stick them together was time consuming and messy. I would also defiantly fill the hands with materials, so it could give the piece more colour.



No comments:

Post a Comment