Monday 19 March 2012

Sydney Opera House by Staples: an in-depth analysis

This was made by the people of the retail and stationary company Staples in Australia, for an installation to show the skill of the students who made it. In the video, they show in time-lapse how they made the iconic structure of Sydney and the spectacular opera house. What drew my attention to this video is that they use products you would be able to buy in Staples, which highlights their properties and also advertises the store, which could be one reason why they made it. Not only that, but they also use paper, card and post-it notes for some of the structures, which is the material I am interested in using in making my final outcome. They use things like pencil, pens, paper, card and bull clips for the building structures and they paint objects like the Opera House with Tipp-ex. They use simple ways to hold the materials together, such as pins and elastic bands, The result being more colourful than just using glue (which they do use, in moderation). They make sure that the piece is neat, nothing out of place. It reminds me of the card made buildings Zim & Zou made for their installation. I love this piece as you can see the effort gone into it. It is very extensive: showing even the water and the sky around the harbor. I am very interested in structures and shapes and this has helped inspire me for my typography ideas. I am interested in the senses of touch and light. My idea is to make an animated gif for my outcome which was also inspired by this video. I love the bright colours used on the products, as they also thought about colour carefully, to express the beauty of the harbor.


No comments:

Post a Comment