Thursday 21 June 2012

Rob Ryan inspired album cover


This piece was inspired by Rob Ryan's paper cutting work. He often makes cards or book covers, which advertises his work. I found it difficult to carve at his level of detail as cutting fine lines makes it easier to break the card. To improve the standard I could have painted and covered up the pencil marks or flipped the card over. I chose to recreate the 'AVPM' cover from StarKid as Rob Ryan tends to create pieces that tell a fantasy or fairy story and 'Harry Potter' is a good example. On top of that, he likes to create romantic scenes in his picture, so I created the two figures in the middle of the Golden Snitch, one being Harry and the other one Ginny holding hands while riding broomsticks, to create the magical love element. I chose to have the background colour yellow, even though Rob Ryan usually keeps the card red and the background colour white to symbolize passion, as it fits with the colours of the stars and also because of the summer theme of the project. I kept the StarKid logo the same but I chose my own typographical design for the 'AVPM'. This cover is completely different to the official cover as they chose to use cartoons and caricatures of the characters which suits the musical and the songs well as they are humorous and the musical is a parody of 'Harry Potter'.

Here is the official album cover:




No comments:

Post a Comment