Wednesday 27 June 2012

Miles Donovan Vector example


Miles Donovan is accomplished at creating vector designs that look the most effective when they are simple. His music-inspired artwork links to our song of the summer cover project as this style of art could be used as an effective cover for a CD.

I made my own example:


I tried to make it look iconic by adding extra effects. I found that this style of work wasn't as simple as it looked as it required using the pen tool, which I found easier to use in photoshop and required great delicacy. As I found it hard to control, it didn't turn out as neatly as I hoped, however I am pleased for my first try.



The steps I took to make my vector was to first choose an image. I chose Joey Richter from StarKid as it links to my song of the summer theme. I took the image into Photoshop and posterised the image so that the colours made up the image. After this I took the new image into Illustrator, I created new layers based on the colours of the pictures: yellow, black, red, white and blue. I first went around the red area with the pen tool and as red was the largest area of colour, I placed this layer at the bottom. As I went around each colour, I locked the other the layers and only kept the layer I working on unlocked. When I finished with outlining each layer, I coloured the layers, deciding to change the colour scheme. I chose the red colour scheme as I looked at my spiky outline and thought it looked demonic. It is reference to StarKid fans who remember Joey in one of his early plays 'The Last Days of Judas Iscariot' when he was acting the part of Satan. His goatie and cheeky smile fit well, so I kept is that way. As and extra part of graphic, I coloured in parts of his hair with the paint-fill pen tool then I added the vector symbol spray and the vector paintbrush tool to boost the image, like in Miles Donovan's piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment